Friday, April 15, 2011

Braindrain

A random post featuring some of the things swirling around in my head.

My children are so cute I want to freeze them.  A twelve year old boy, a ten year old girl and two six-year-olds on the cusp of turning seven is just the absolute perfect combination for me right now.  Personalities are fully formed but no one is taller than me yet.  (Although Jake is just a few weeks and maybe a Grandslam Breakfast away from looking down upon me.  Luckily I will outweigh him for decades!)

I enjoy my kids so much more than I did just a few years ago.  They can read!  They can tie!  They can wipe!  They are smart, funny and delightful.  Sam thanks me after every meal in Spanish.  Gracias, Mami for the delicious frozen waffle.  I am charmed on a daily basis.

I'm so glad when Daddy comes home.  Brad flies in tonight after a week in Philly and NJ.  He drove by our old house and took photos.  He visited some old friends.  He even had a quick trim by his beloved Donna at Personal Style.  (A fact which made me sooo envious, I actually dreamed I was back at the David Witchell salon in Newtown!  Oh, good hair days, why do you torment and elude me?)

I was tempted to fly back with him and tour our old stomping grounds together.  But, the truth is, I am just not ready.  I still miss it there a lot.  As much as I love the sunshine and having a pool right out the back door, I left a big piece of my heart on the Eastern seaboard.  I need a little more time to get over it.

I love having Brad in town.  I love having him work from home.  We've switched roles a little.  Now I'm the one who is gone all day and he's the one waiting for the cable guy.  He loads the laundry and turns off the CrockPot.  We go out to lunch and remember what life was like those first eight years we had together when it was just the two of us.  We've still got it.

We are family.  I got all my sisters with me!  Last month, Marta and Benji came to town for two glorious weeks.  It was simply the best.  I dragged her along on all our crazy adventures and she was, as always, a great sport.  How fun to watch my baby sister as a mother.  I learned from her everyday!

I was so sad to see Min go...but now, guess what?!  Two more sisters are driving down sans hubbies and bringing along their (yes, count 'em) SEVEN little girls for some fun-in-the-sun next week!  Eighteen extra ovaries, people.  Don't you wish you could be a fly on the wall!?  I cannot wait.

And some things you just can't blog about...  The biggest change going in my life right now is my church assignment.  Getting a new calling is kind of like being a new mom.  At first, everyone says nice things and hugs you and tells you what a great job you will do...and then THEY LEAVE YOU ALONE WITH THE BABY.  And you just have to do it.

I'm still at the stage where I don't know what I don't know.  I'm trying to study up real quick.  I am loving the excuse to make lots of new friends, to do lots of one-on-one visiting.  It's a very old-fashioned, non-digital kind of job which I find energizing and enjoyable.  I'm doing a lot of listening and I'm learning a lot, but it's not stuff I want to post about.  Just trust me, after a short time rubbing shoulders with these women, I will be a better person.

20 comments:

kara jayne said...

well...i have to tell you that rubbing shoulders with you has made me a better person. they are so blessed to have you.

Lauren in GA said...

Gabi, I loved reading all about the things swirling around in your head.

I smiled at your saying how you are enjoying your kids. I realized the other day how much easier and more delightful my Brian is now that he is seven. I love how you described your kids and how their personalities are fully formed. I agree...it is great having coversations with my older kids.

I love the way you write. There is a poetry to it, there really is.

Oh, my gracious. I would be charmed by Sam giving thanks in Spanish, too. Darling.

Rochelleht said...

LOVE the update. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and wondering how the new calling is going. So glad you are doing well. Now, I'll go check out Marta's trip. :-)

Christie said...

Please let this be the first in a regular series of posts! I love reading about your life. I miss you! And I am extremely jealous of all the Gabi fun time they will all have at your place. So much fun!

Lindsey said...

I totally laughed out loud at your statement about the BABY! Hilarious. Heidi has already told me that she has learned so much from you, and that your meetings are full of the spirit. You.are.great.

Just us Nelsons said...

Gabi I miss you so much. I love reading about your kiddos and your amazing attitude on life. It always cheers me up. You are such an amazing person. Love ya.

marta said...

loved the quick catch-up post. can't wait to hear how all that girlie goodness is next week. enjoy it!!

mama jo said...

glad to see you are coming back to the blogging world...that new calling can be the best and the worst of times...so, good luck, kisses and hugs...you'll need them soon...

Jenibelle said...

Gabi, first of all, thank you for the beautiful note, I needed it terribly.

Second, the Lord absolutely knew who would be amazing as an RS Pres. And he was smart enough to wait til your children are at the perfect ages! What a spectacular woman you are! You are truly someone I respect, look up to and admire greatly.


PS. If Brad ever makes a trip this direction...hop aboard!!

Jeanelle said...

I feel the same way as you about new/big callings. The first day is fun because you're famous and you get hugs/love/sympathy but then you're totally on your own, left to fend for yourself in the vast wilderness.

I'm wishing I was in your ward!!!

brooke said...

I loved this post too. I miss you when we don't hear what is going on in your life!

Read Superbs said...

The post is so enlightening on the valuable tremendous collection. People will get information and entertainment through your web.Hope you will keep posting th good stuff.

Credit Forex Markets said...

What an inspiration! Thank you for your story. Love love love your work

Fashion For Physic said...

I know what you mean about venting on the blog first; sometimes I do the same thing- talk about something on the blog. I'm always impressed by the way you resolve things.

Google Adsense Account said...

The post is so informative on the worthwhile awesome collection, hope you will keep posting good material.

Cooking Perfect said...

I have wanted to comment a few times, on things that i can either relate to, or really move me, but i do not know how to comment. i see that other people have...

Lesa said...

Please blog again!!!!!

tina g said...

Hi Gabi, saw your blog saved in my faves so i thought i would see if you were still writing. So good to see your family and how you are all doing so well. We do miss you here in Yardley!! xxoo Tina

Anonymous said...

Use to follow and still check in once in a while. I hope I'm not missing a new blog you may have started. Are you just on hiatus? Miss you!!

Dalene said...

Gabi, I realize you wrote this post months ago... but the part about you missing the East made me sad and I just want you to know the East misses you, too! I didn't know you well, but I loved Brad and serving with him in the Stake was awesome. He was so kind to me. AND when I found out you were related to THE Halversons, I knew I loved you. Also, once I realized we had possibly crossed path at Abington RM, I felt instantly connected to you. Hope you are all well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...